Road hog to Full Boar

Is there any upgrade kit available or in the pipeline for road hog users??
  • The Road Hog was a mistake and many who purchased it would rather have the full boar. I told Brad when the console first came out it was rediculous to limit the expandability of the console with no capability to expand universes, monitors, networking, and so on.
    He argued that the basic console was limited on features to keep cost down when in relality the cost in time to backwards engineer a Hog system to do less than it all ready could do was more time consuming than to just leaving as it was originally designed. Then suddenly here comes the full boar and a bunch of pissed off people who had purchased the basic road hog wishing they has the full boar instead.
    Let's look at the facts. Can you expand the full boar to more universes for free? Can you add monitors for free? The answer is no. And why? Because you have to purchase the hardware to expand with, so what is High End giving you in the full bore console that your not getting in the road hog? A disc drive is all I see. You still have to buy monitors,widgets and expander wings to be able to expand. SO what if the console has midi input; time code input; capability of adding monitors, and widgets! Can you expand the console without the above mentioned hardware? NO!
    So tell me again how the road hog is such a good deal? You can have Hog PC with complete expandability for the same money as a road hog console and run Hog 2 or 3. It's an even better value than a Hog 3 console as you don't spend $15k for a controller and have to pony up more for the actual DMX interface via DP2000!
  • i feel i need the option of tracking backup VERY soon!!

Im running a v important show and already today have had to log off and back on three times!

The first was when my desk channels wouldnt dim, only gave me 0% or 100% no in between!!

Then an RGB led channel stuck at 100% both times a re log on solved it.

Im beginning to lose a little faith in the machine and would feel happier having a plan 2

The last 2 previous jobs i have had the machine fall over just before doors and the organiser gives me it in the neck!!!!!!

Pleas please consider this as an important feature!!!!!!!!

Mike
  • [quote=nunny]i feel i need the option of tracking backup VERY soon!!

Im running a v important show and already today have had to log off and back on three times!

The first was when my desk channels wouldnt dim, only gave me 0% or 100% no in between!!

Then an RGB led channel stuck at 100% both times a re log on solved it.

Im beginning to lose a little faith in the machine and would feel happier having a plan 2

The last 2 previous jobs i have had the machine fall over just before doors and the organiser gives me it in the neck!!!!!!

Pleas please consider this as an important feature!!!!!!!!

Mike,

Sounds like you are having some unusual problems....I use my H3 nearly everyday with no such issues and the same fixture types. I also use the iPC, RH, & FB consoles quite regularly with no such issues.

Are you using a lot of custom fixture profiles (built via fixture builder for ex.)?

What steps are you taking to create these problems? Can you reliably reproduce the issue(s)?

If you need a backup desk, get a DMX A/B switch along with a seccond desk, and then simply click over if your primary goes down. If you also need it to track you need to use MSC to link the two as well to make the second desk "follow" the first (this is not available on RH as ther is no MIDI)

2 consoles + MIDI cable + DMX A/B = tracking backup....no problem.

This has been the way since the very beginning of the H3 system.....network backups are in the works, but I wouldn't expect to see them anytime soon.

Hope this helps:)
  • Sadly the company doesnt have the option of sending x2 desks out on each show,

Im using no custom fixture types, tha rgb channels are controlling color block DB4's x 40 and the desk channel is controlling a dimming channel on a 48 way art 2000 rack.

I have just noticed glitches and things hanging quite a lot on the last few releases,

All problems i encounter seem to be resolved with a reboot and no other changes.

Its the first time ive seen the desk channels act as a switch almost but not the first time ive had DB4's do strange things,

I did all the pig release and ensured nothing is parked etc but still it stayed on, power cycled the 30 way PSU and still it stayed on, i cant be running a show thinking " oh it doesnt matter if that one is open white, i have 39 left that are working"

Please listen to a concerned customer HES
  • When was the last time you did a full install of the software on the desk? (Not just an upgrade, but a full re-image).

What XPe version is in the desk?
    What version H3PC?
  • A ful install was done in january, this was due to a crash which wouldnt let me boot up the desk.

Im feeling very unnervy about using the desk as in the last 4 times ive used it ive had a crash, 1 being last night mid-show, im sure this isnt the advert HES want to be sending out

As for version i will have to check this week and let you know.

Regards

Mike
  • [quote=nunny]A ful install was done in january, this was due to a crash which wouldnt let me boot up the desk.

I would try doing the XPe Image install again with the newest version released in June (Release 1.1.5 for Roadhog) as there have been at least 5 updates since January.

If this does not solve your problems, then you may have some physical damage to your desk. Either use the diagnostics, call support, or possibly even send it in for a check up.

Hope this helps:)
  • Thinking on i recall the last times i have had problems i have plugged something into the power supply running the desk, i didnt have a ups on either!

Is this a possibility that there may be a crash due to a spike or something similar??
  • Mike,

The problems you have been reporting are very odd as Marty has pointed out. The best option right now is for you to contact our support department directly at 800-890-8989 or support@flyingpig.com then they can troubleshoot these items with you.

Also you can look on your console in the Logs folder and send me any .dmp files that might be in there. This will help us to determine what is causing the problems you are experiencing. You can send the files to me via upload.highend.com

thanks,
  • Brad
    A copy of the show 2 weeks ago where the parameter wheels locked out has been uploaded

Regards

Mike
  • Is there any plans of the networking for remote focus to be implemented??
    Was shown up by Loghtjockey the other day when the DJ was walking around doing a focus on his tablet!
  • [quote=nunny]Is there any plans of the networking for remote focus to be implemented??
    Was shown up by Loghtjockey the other day when the DJ was walking around doing a focus on his tablet!

Not sure what you are talking about......the ability to use a tablet has been around for years already...I use a laptop for remote focus on my H3 almost daily.:D

The regular RH does not have networking (and probably never will) so this isn't an option for that desk specifically....all the others are capable of this.....keep in mind that the RH is considered by many to be a Hog-500/1000 replacement level console.......and there is no remote focus capability on those desks either.

.....but to compare to LJ....if you run H3PC with widgets and such, you can network in a tablet if you want to.
  • The beginning of the topic was about the option of being able to upgrade as such the RH to network etc, there is many things been said about how HES werent forthcoming in advertising the FB so the likes of myself purchased the RH to only find a few months later the FB is released,
    In the current market a ot of different manufacturers are making all the system versatile so why cant HES impliment at a cost an upgrade kit to enable the networking, not even artnet just remote focus an backup??
Related