Wholehog 4

Should HES make a Wholehog 4? Post your suggestions. :hogsign:
  • [QUOTE=eventdesignlab;46037]I too believe there is a lot of development left in H3, I'm just curious how quickly it will continue to come about with Barco consuming High End Systems. The L.A. office is all but barebones, many people let go, and software revisions seeming to take longer and longer. Just curious how important the continuing development of H3 is to Barco and what resources they will continue to throw at it? Love my hog, but the merge into Barco got me a little worried.

Well...the LA office is gone (from what I've been told). Once Mike was let go and Randy left...the writing was on the wall.

I'm feeling the same way right now...I keep asking myself if the Barco merge is the first nail in the coffin. I look at Plasa and there was really no showing from Barco/HES. They announced a new light and software for Axons. (And the light was no where to be seen).

I'm hoping things step up and get a quick pace to get back on line...if not, I might have to start looking elsewhere unfortunately.
  • We had 3 updates the last month and from what I have understood, the next major update was announced for spring and it should have significant points. I think that with the (bad) past experiences, HES does not want a bad software version. It seems that we should have a lot of news and great functions this year in the next major update and in the followings.
  • At the PL&S in Frankfurt I have been told that there will be 2 real updates this year, the bigger one in the end (november/december) and one in the middle of the year.
    And I think we all will like it.
  • Why invest time in a H4 give us USB backup on the H3 and is't the roadhog hind of a H4!!!! As with the MA 2, how many chaps have 60k right now to spend with thing so slim to spend
  • [QUOTE=nibor;46121]give us USB backup on the H3

This should not be so far....
  • You think ,,,,, well I have had the console for 6 years and I do love programming it,
    and I hope you are right, but do you think they will ever fix the HTP clear bug
  • One person wrote this: Not a lot of LD's choose desk by their price - they choose it by what they like and what is reliable.
    Well, that may be the case. Let me tell you from a Production company owner/operator point of view. I am an LD and you bet your A** price is important. I can own 3 Hog 3 systems and have them out generating revenue to one MA console. If there was anything that the MA console could do that the Hog 3 cannot do, then I would take a look at owning one. But at the price, it would have to do a whole heck of a lot more than a Hog 3 console.
    Does having motorized faders do anything for you? NOPE!!!
    Justs looks cool. It's not like your mixing sound and need to grab 30 faders at once and run them to a specific level! One fader can have all the information for a cue in it. And since you can write command macros to play other cues from another list, you can still run multiple lists from the push of one go cue.
    Hog 3 could use a built in visualizer, but that is software not hardware.
    Better fixture builder, but again that is software.
    Basically the developers have their hands full with Hog 3 and getting it smoothed out before needing to even be worrying about another hardware/software platform.
    And with Microsoft stopping support on XP, you really need to concentrate on making Hog run on a Mac OS and soon. Vista is a joke and not sure what yet will become of Win 7 as I only use XP with Hog.
    Oh and BTW. Where the H*### is that remote focus device?
    Tried getting some answers at LDI and just got the run around.
  • Hog 3 was initially developed on Linux, and Mac is also currently a *nix under the hood, so this *should* have been easy . . . but HES decided to put the RoadHog line on Win instead . . . a decision I still can't comprehend . . . .

And the last I looked, XP has full support until 2014 (or thereabouts), if my memory serves, so no real risks/need to change there just yet . . . and it still beats that which came after it!

- Tim
  • [QUOTE=JeffM;52235]Hog 3 could use a built in visualizer, but that is software not hardware.

Any console is far better off with a separate visualizer. The resources it takes to get decent visualization are ones I would not want to take away from the desk. "networking in" visualizers is really the best approach. That way you have dedicated processing/GPU resources.....just look at what is required for a good ESP or WYG system nowadays!

[QUOTE=JeffM;52235]Better fixture builder, but again that is software.
    Basically the developers have their hands full with Hog 3 and getting it smoothed out before needing to even be worrying about another hardware/software platform.

Yes and Yes

[QUOTE=JeffM;52235]And with Microsoft stopping support on XP, you really need to concentrate on making Hog run on a Mac OS and soon. Vista is a joke and not sure what yet will become of Win 7 as I only use XP with Hog.

Screw Apple! They change what hardware they support at the drop of a hat with no re4gard for their user base! Vista was a joke, but Win7 is pretty sweet.

[QUOTE=JeffM;52235]Oh and BTW. Where the H*### is that remote focus device?
    Tried getting some answers at LDI and just got the run around.

Probably will never see one as there are so many options with tablets, laptops, etc to network for this....much better for the user to pick the one that works best for their application than a far more expensive "stock" one. I hear iPad/iPhone apps are in the works as well which would make some happy I know.

And also:
    [QUOTE=tadawson;52235]Hog 3 was initially developed on Linux, and Mac is also currently a *nix under the hood, so this *should* have been easy . . . but HES decided to put the RoadHog line on Win instead . . . a decision I still can't comprehend . . . .

And the last I looked, XP has full support until 2014 (or thereabouts), if my memory serves, so no real risks/need to change there just yet . . . and it still beats that which came after it!

There was a rumor that eventually XPe will be phased out and all the desks will run Linux. I highly support that idea!

But saying that Linux is anything like the Unix running under OSX is like saying Windows is the same as Mac.
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma;52242]Any console is far better off with a separate visualizer. The resources it takes to get decent visualization are ones I would not want to take away from the desk. "networking in" visualizers is really the best approach. That way you have dedicated processing/GPU resources.....just look at what is required for a good ESP or WYG system nowadays!

Yes and Yes

Screw Apple! They change what hardware they support at the drop of a hat with no re4gard for their user base! Vista was a joke, but Win7 is pretty sweet.

Probably will never see one as there are so many options with tablets, laptops, etc to network for this....much better for the user to pick the one that works best for their application than a far more expensive "stock" one. I hear iPad/iPhone apps are in the works as well which would make some happy I know.

And also:

There was a rumor that eventually XPe will be phased out and all the desks will run Linux. I highly support that idea!

But saying that Linux is anything like the Unix running under OSX is like saying Windows is the same as Mac.

I have worked on both, and they are almost identical once you get past the GUI, which is not a part of the O/S per-se. Both are a pretty fundamental *nix derivative, and offer the same utilities. Apple chose to go the idiot-proof route on their GUI, and Linux chose to give you all the choices you can stand . . . but under the covers, more the same than different! Frankly, a lot of the libraries and stuff upon which a lot of software depends are similar (if not the same) on OS/X and Linux . . . making code compatibility much more simplistic between them than Win and Mac by miles!

Drop into a shell window on a current MAC sometime, and poke around . . . you will likely be amazed at how similar it is to any other *nix!

And yes, Win and Mac are *very* different - under the covers as well. Totally different roots on the OS *and* the GUI . . . .

- Tim
  • Will be nice to have CITP support to watch media servers content thumbnails on consoles screens.
  • Hi Georgiy,

CITP is currently under development and planned for a release sometime after v3.2.
  • NO

Make v3 better and release new desks.. why bother and redo everything

Software

Motorized faders
    Real network tracking/backup (Like MA)
    Better Effects Engine
    DMX in/Midi in for wings and other things....!!!!
    better macros+real macros (screen touching and buttonpresses)
    attach cues to playback buttons, why control chosed fader when buttons are already there?
    iphone/ipad support, access to everything!!!
    Timecode timeline with effects, groups, cues, faders.

For future desks

MORE FADERS, 10 is really really not enough, even hog 1000 is better at this...
    executor buttons
    bigger screens thats not cuntersucked into the desk.
    real multitouch
  • Kinglevel,

a lot of your requests will come in V3.2
    Midi in is already there (MSC and Midi Notes)

you can do your executor Buttons of you open the cuelist or scenewindow, deselect the "Guard" Option and you have a mass of those buttons

So most is there or to come in the next weeks with the release of 3.2
    Networktracking works great in the Beta-Release, as well as keystroke macros
  • Sorry this has nothing to do with Hog 4, but I don't know where else to ask. It's gonna sound stupid, but, how do I start a new thread? There is no link to be found for me to actually ask my own question. I can only reply to posts (which is why I am asking this question here). Any advice would be much appreciated.
    -Humbled
Related