Hog 3PC Remote for Android

I was jealous that the Iphone users could use snatch and use there phone as a remote. I didn't want to buy and iphone or an ipod, so I researched for a program like snatch for Android. I found andremote. You can find it in the market, and it costs about $1.43. I have created a basic keypad remote with clear and highlight. I am still trying to figure out if andremote supports more that one screen, but I wanted to get what I had up and let people use it and comment back.

The website is: andremote.anddev.org
  • I have been trying to figure out how to have more than 1 screen. The best solution I could come up with is to have 2 layouts. So on the phone, open the program, and click on download layout. The 2 layouts I have are a Number Pad, and A playback remote.
  • Hey chadl

Just curious how this is working out, or if you've given up on it?
    I am also and android user and would find this very useful as often I am the one focusing my own lights, up a lift or on a truss, and nobody had time to op the board.

Taking a laptop on a truss walk is not feasible and I'd rather not risk dropping it out of a lift. But A smart phone tied off is a much different story.

Kurt
  • I've been using it for a while now and it works fine. I do have 2 layouts, both are free to download once you purchase andremote ($1.49 when I bought it). 1 layout is keypad, with clear, highlight, next & last. the 2nd remote is a choose button for 10 playbacks, go, pause and release.

Enjoy. Let me know if you have any problems with it, or have an suggestions for it.

Chad
  • Hey Chad

I'm very impressed with this piece. It is very wicked. I couldn't get the playback to work properly though. Any ideas?
  • Sorry for the late reply. I'll take a look at it, but it might take a while as I am not around my hogs for a while.
  • No worries,

I've started to create my own remote, with much smaller buttons, I dunno if it'll work with everyone but it works ok for me.

Do you know if the layout can be saved and opened later for editing?
    I haven't closed the editor cause i don't see any way to re open it to make changes.

Kurt
  • I don't think it can. I had to redo mine 5 times, then I just stopped closing the editor.
  • Don't know if anybody is still keeping an eye on this post, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents for anybody that stumbles across it.

Ours isn't the simplest setup, but it works. We have a wireless router connected to our Hog PC machine, running the TightVNC server (www.tightvnc.com/). On my Android phone (T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide) I'm running the free androidVNC. It allows me full control of the Hog PC app (minus right-click) across all four of our monitors.

It'll do until HES comes up with an Android app :-)
  • I usually use my tablet (well, convertible) PC running HOG 3 PC connected through a wireless network to the console but ever since I got my Toshiba Thrive, I've been wondering if there is a way to connect that instead since it is MUCH lighter than my tablet pc.

I think the solution is going to be to have my laptop connected at the console to the wireless router. I've discovered two Android/ iOS Apps. The first is called PocketCloud Remote. They have a Server App that you download to your laptop that includes the TightVNC server RScott mentioned. Set up everything manually and then run the app on your Android/iOS Device. You'll need to know the IP address assigned to the laptop. I tried it out on my desktop and it seems to work. It's not perfect but for focus touch ups or channel checks, it should be fine.

The other app is called CrazyRemote. Same concept. You have to download a server app to your laptop and then download the app to your device. Functions the same but I didn't like it as much as PocketCloud.

I didn't spend much time with either one, but thought I would share. This should work on all platforms.
    forums.highend.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

[QUOTE=RScott;54666]Don't know if anybody is still keeping an eye on this post, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents for anybody that stumbles across it.

Ours isn't the simplest setup, but it works. We have a wireless router connected to our Hog PC machine, running the TightVNC server (www.tightvnc.com/). On my Android phone (T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide) I'm running the free androidVNC. It allows me full control of the Hog PC app (minus right-click) across all four of our monitors.

It'll do until HES comes up with an Android app :-)
  • if anyone else is keeping an eye on this i run hop3pc on my laptop and use my android phone (motorola defy) for a remote.. i downloaded an app called spashtop and downloaded the splashtop streemer to my laptop.. you can use these over a wireless router or internet connection.. whatever is on my laptop screen at the time is what shows on my phone.. so basically i can walk away from my laptop and go on stage or where ever and focus or do what i need to do all from my phone... its pretty cool when your friends dont know you have it and they walk by your laptop and see the faders or encoders moving on the screen :)
  • I use RemoteRDP [u]market.android.com/details?id=org.toremote.rdpdemo&hl=en[/u] and the Remote Desktop server built-in to Windows. I've found RDPv7+ to be more reliable than VNC, particularly over lengthy wireless connections, e.g. ~250 ft. I also appreciate that I do not have to install another server daemon on my laptop.

This works quite well using a consumer grade 802.11N wireless router. Even my road-weary 802.11G travel router performed well, though long distance connections occasionally dropped due to the undersized antennae.

Both my tablet and phone are suitable remotes for the HogPC client on my laptop: my relatively primitive iPhone 3G struggled with the graphics but worked nonetheless. I find the tablet's larger screen is better for extended sessions while the phone is great for a quick fix on-stage.

Until there is proper Android support ...

--L.
Related