iPad Hog III remote?

Anybody get something working with the full native resolution of the iPad? Working on trying to Remote Desktop to iPC on windows laptop...

Was just curious if anyone has tried this yet.
  • we where told to expect the new software and the ipad/phone apps by the end of this year. 1 week till 2011. cutting it close.
  • Jurgens,

You said "we where told to expect the new software and the ipad/phone apps by the end of this year. 1 week till 2011. cutting it close."

Unfortunately the remote project has been delayed and will obviously not be released in 2010. We do have hopes of getting it out in 2011 though!
  • I would gladly beta the iPad software....

I'm seeing the benefits of it already. I'm using my iPad now as a remote via remote desktop but it doesnt work flauwless all the time...
  • Just searched the app store before checking here... Thought we would have an app by now... Good things come to those who wait eeh? :-) shoot me a beta version when avail!
  • ALMOST IS END OF YEAR...IM COUNT THE MINUTES FOR THE NEW VERSION.
    (I HOPE EXIST A NEW VERSION)
    BECAUSE ALL THE NEW CONSOLES HAVE THE SOFTWARE OF THE NEW PROMESS OF SOFTWARE OF HOG 3. AND WHEN LAUNCH THE NEW VERSION, MAYBE THE OTHERS CONSOLES HAVE NEW FUNCTIONS AGAIN .(IM NO T TALKING ABOUT MA2..OR THE LITLE AND POWERFULL M1!!!)
    WE ONLY NEED THE BASIC FUNCTIONS OF THIS ERA!!.. NOT FLY THE CONSOLE AND RUN 4000 SESIONS AT SAME TIME AND NOT RUN WITH 4000 DPS WITH 1000000 DMX OUTS.

I WANT TO SAVE MY SHOW IN USB JAJJAA

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
  • Ryan...

They never said there was going to be a MAC version....ever. Not sure why you thought there would be. As far as iPad/iPhone, Brad already mentioned a couple of posts above that the remote was delayed.
  • [QUOTE=soundtechblake;55130]any news on this would be really handy
    Seconded.

It may seem like simply a novelty feature, some might even say a frivilous one, but putting it on the back-burner because its proven difficult to implement may be costly.

I think it's features like this that sell consoles. It's undeniably the way all computer-based technology is headed (wireless/portable), and let's face it, we all wanna stand on stage elegantly and gracefully pivoting our phones to guide lamps in on top of us, while envious noiseboys look on. As it stands it's difficult not to envy the Chamsys guys, who have almost all the functionality we crave, on a relative shoestring.

This post was originally only one word long (see top) but while I'm thinking about it, why isn't there any wholehog network hardware? Like a wireless router (in anodized blue featuring airborne mammal motif, obviously). Maybe integrate it into a dmx widget (super-duper widget?). Throw in linear timecode and you've got something good going on (uber-super-duper widget?) I'll only charge ya 5% if ya go with it.

Anyway since you seem to have control via the dmx protocol basically sussed and sorted, I can imagine most future R&D having at least some network element. I know the DP8000 handles artnet beautifully, but there are so many more possibilities with that little ethernet port. For example, can ya fill me in on the timeline for releasing a console that has a built in webcam and comms port so I can do gigs from home? Preferably more than one gig at a time, ya gotta take them when they come! (That one's definitely worth 10% by the way)

Sorry that's more than enough for my fourth post, I should say I love my hog because it's the best programming system and playback environment available, and it looks *** hot! It's just that I can't stop wanting more....
  • Hi Chiefo,

You said "why isn't there any wholehog network hardware? Like a wireless router (in anodized blue featuring airborne mammal motif, obviously)."
    Actually early in the project (2001), there was a Wholehog annodized blue Ethernet switch, but it never made it to market. A few lucky people in engineering and one customer have these units. The reality is that a small company in our small industry can never produce switches, wireless routers, etc at a price that will even come close to the consumer and professional products that are already on the market. Furthermore, most would rather have our engineers spending more time on direct lighting features than on things you can already purchase.

As for the remote app, as I have stated before it is on our list of things to complete. However we prioritize every release and this has been delayed in favor of other features. While this feature is popular, it has not slowed our console sales. Furthermore you can use a wireless tablet (or even a phone/ipad) via standard wireless networking.
  • And there are some solutions out there already...while not the be-all-end-all solution, they can generally get you what you need (with a few exceptions).

For basic calling of cues, triggering things, etc. they work well. The downside is lack of fader/encoder mappings and feedback from the console.

You can network in a Hog3PC and use Teleport or some variation of VNC.
    You can network in a Hog3PC and use Snatch as keyboard shortcut triggers.
    You can use OSC and just have a laptop with a USB/Midi device and control the console directly.

There are options...are they perfect? No. Do they work for most uses? Quite possibly.
  • I think the Hog 3 has had it's day ??? and you might not have some of these functions
    Because and it is my true feeling that a lot of development time is going into a new console, about 4 weeks ago I put a post on the forum that my crystal ball said there
    would be a new kicking console coming out in January and the post got removed real quick
    And yes I ran right out and got a DP8k when the news of 3.2 came out but that was a while ago now and I think they have lost a lot of steam with taking SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOO long, As I say I think the real reason is they are writing joint platform with the new console and the plan unlike when the 3 came out is for it to kick
    right out of the trap...
  • [QUOTE=nibor;55187]
    the post got removed real quick

You mean this post?
    forums.highend.com/showpost.php?p=54799

I searched for posts by "nibor" with the word "January" in them, and that post from three weeks ago came up in the list.

I'm not aware of any posts from real users getting deleted in a very long time. SPAM posts routinely get deleted, but unless you're interested in helping some poor widow get assets out of a foreign country for a portion of the proceeds, you probably won't miss them.
  • Hey all this a quick little video I made but you get the idea it a remote desktop app about $1.99 that give you control over all the function of your PC so of course you can do cue's, fader, remote focus. I ran a dmx line into the foyer of my last show for a opening 4 mac 2k's and 20 led's did some light programming and ran the whole 20 min show from my phone the HOG 3 PC wast setting at the tech deck about 120 ft away.
    The doors opened I was able to bring up the opening look and shut down all foyer lighting before I ever sat down even grabbed a coffee.

This works much better on IPAD i'm sure but for right now it rocks for me.

There is a free version of this try it out I don't think understand it can be used for this the minute they do it will a 120 app.

All the best my friends question comment concerns I will take em
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzc1WKtculI
  • I personally think that this is the one thing that Hogs are missing... I am a programmer that uses many boards in addition to hogs, Grand MAs, Jands Vista, Chamsys... to name a few. I love Hog consoles, always have, but when I can remote control all of the other consoles from my iPad and stand on stage and in the Aud to "fine tune" my looks it makes my life a lot easier and my shows look better as a result... Just putting my 2 cents in.
Related