Hog 3 Fixture Builder revisited

Here we are again after several months since the last time I asked about this.
We as lighting designers and programmers are handed a number of off brand fixtures last minute that have to be either installed or used on an event. We need a software package or major improvements to the fixture builder on the Hog.
When building fixtures, I even go look at other fixtures similar to it to help in the creation of the new library. However there are certain fields where you enter information that will not allow you to save the file unless the information is correct. And without some better way of confirming the information is correct, we bang our heads against the wall trying to get this stuff done.
The fix all is not sending one person the fixture info and waiting for a library.
The fix is however providing us with the proper tools(information, software, education) to get our jobs done!
How long do we have to wait for something? Been asking, calling for over 2 yrs about this.
Also the same with a remote focus capability. How about an app for a tablet or an android phone? Not asking for a free hand out here. Happy to pay for one.
Thanks
  • [QUOTE=JeffM;56507]
    The fix is however providing us with the proper tools(information, software, education) to get our jobs done!

i'm not sure what exactly you are so unhappy with fixture builder! it does crash from time to time, but basically it works.
  • I think the fixture builder has become more stable over the past couple versions. I haven't had an issue with it in years.
  • Go try and build an LED fixture even as basic as the 3ch generic RGB LED.
    Cannot be done using the fixture builder in it's present state! Doesn't work!
    How about a 28ch moving head fixture from China? Again; doesn't work!
    Go in and add the values according to the manual and then match the functionality of each channel and parameter, control channel and so on.
    It blows! Cannot even do it.
    It's a weak representation of a builder.
    Hell; it was easier to build a fixture on an old Animator console!
    At least it worked!
  • I'm not trying to start an argument here...but, here's a screen shot of a simple fixture I just made in the fixture builder. I didn't have any issues making it, and had a working fixture on my first try.
  • [QUOTE=JeffM;56671]Go try and build an LED fixture even as basic as the 3ch generic RGB LED.

if i may suggest something: take your time. if you press a button and see no result, wait a few seconds, DON'T push it again and again and again.
  • I think the builder is more stable in PC versios of Hog.
  • [QUOTE=JeffM;56507]Here we are again after several months since the last time I asked about this.
    We as lighting designers and programmers are handed a number of off brand fixtures last minute that have to be either installed or used on an event. We need a software package or major improvements to the fixture builder on the Hog.
    When building fixtures, I even go look at other fixtures similar to it to help in the creation of the new library. However there are certain fields where you enter information that will not allow you to save the file unless the information is correct. And without some better way of confirming the information is correct, we bang our heads against the wall trying to get this stuff done.
    The fix all is not sending one person the fixture info and waiting for a library.
    How long do we have to wait for something? Been asking, calling for over 2 yrs about this.
    Also the same with a remote focus capability. How about an app for a tablet or an android phone? Not asking for a free hand out here. Happy to pay for one.
    Thanks

My only problem is that I can't get to build more than 2 fixtures. Not even if I merge shows. I understand that it could be a little tedious to build, but I finally got good at it. Where I work, we get a lot of Chinese lights. I guess I had no choice but to adapt. But I totally agree with a special software to build fixtures and then transfer them to the Hog3PC. Is that too much to ask?
  • I had a talk with the guys who are building the lib-files.
    Due to the complex setup of the lib (real-world parameters, slot-values, etc) it is not that easy to build such a software.
    I also asked them how they do it, and was told that it is all "handmade" also no software where they just type in the DMX channels and values,
    Thats one of the "disadvantages" of the real-world parameters
  • I don't really care if it's "handmade," just make it available for us. To wait a week for a profile is not as easy as they think. Just give it to us and let us deal with it. Well, that's my opinion
  • I think it is way to complex to build this files so that they are working without the knowledge of more then how the DMX-Chart is setup...
    Thats why there is no fixture-builder software....

And to wait a week is ok, otherwise try to build it own your own and you will see that it is not that simple (and this is not only because of the fixture-builder not working proper)
    I´ve done also some custom-libs on my own, and they never have been that good like a lib that has been build by HES-Stuff.

And there are always work-arounds if you need to get something to work immediatly, like using "fixture-lego"
    And I can understand that it takes some times to build the libs, cause these 1257369302 requests for another chinese LED-Fixtures take their time
    More common fixtures or new fixtures are avialable really fast.
  • ... they never have been that good like a lib that has been build by HES-Stuff.
    More common fixtures or new fixtures are avialable really fast.

Hi all

yes the team does a great job but some correction wishes eg clay packy 1500 or gpl impression zoom 15chnl mode (the reset)
    are in the forum since weeks

for myself : i create my one fixtures ( carefully in the builder )
    and the last 8 fixtures i got no freesing desk
    and since i found a solution to merge more than 1 self createt fixture
    this is my way for a quick correction or create

thumbs up
    maikel
Related