Tutorials on connecting with Nomad?

I cannot seem to find any resources on how to connect nomad. I am completely lost. I have a ETCnomad dongle, an Enttec Ode Mk3, a 2 universe Ion console, I have all the network requirements. The Ode Mk3 is working fine, but I cannot get the EOS software running on my computer (Mac or PC) because I cannot find a single tutorial on how to do this. 

• did you download and in stall the software on your computer? is it PC or Mac? and what is the problem you run into, is there an error message?

• Thanks for the reply. Everything is connected, to the point that I have been able to successfully run Augment3d tether from the computer. But I don't know how to get the software running in a "standard" way - that is, control the console from my computer.

My goal/hope is to connect a laptop and use it as a big "remote". How do I get things working so that what is on my console is replicated in the EOS software on my computer?

The thing is I don't even know if that is possible with Nomad - or what is possible with nomad??? There are no videos that fully explain from a beginner level precisely what it is and what it does, nor can I find any sufficient tutorials in any format on how to set up and connect for the first time :-( I would hugely appreciate your help or if you can point me in the direction of the right videos/documents

• ah, i read "but I cannot get the EOS software running on my computer" and thought you can't get the software running on your computer...

do you connect with network cable or through WiFi?

is the Eos version on your computer and on the console exactly the same?

• Perhaps what's missing is the understanding that Nomad IS a console and is fully capable of doing everything a hardware console can do. Like any console, it can be a client for another console, a master, or a backup. All that is required for any of these functions is to be connected to the same network as the hardware console using wired ethernet. The Entec Ode is only useful when running as a master.

• Thank-you for your reply. Yes I feel generally in the dark about what exactly nomad is on a fundamental level, and I haven't been able to find any introductory material to explain, so my knowledge has plenty of holes in it.

What I don't understand (and can't find an explanation of) is the differences between those - "Primary" "Client" and "Backup" - how to set them up, and which is most suitable for my situation? I am connected to the same subgroup over wired connection, all running the same 3.1.5 build 8. As I mentioned in another comment, I managed to get Augmented3d tether working, but for some reason not the others... I'm unsure how to proceed. Essentially I'd like to either mirror what is on the console with the computer, or allow the computer take over the console's data and control changes (hope that makes sense)

• Sorry I wrote that rather quickly yesterday... everything on wired network, same subgroup, same 3.1.5 build 8. Again, they can all see each other (augment3d tether was working), but I'm unsure how primary/backup/client, what the differences are, and how to set them up. Are there no tutorials available? I appreciate your help 

• Ok! So I finally got it going. Client was what I was after. I was trying "primary", which wasn't working, and I am still unclear on how "primary" and "backup" modes work exactly...

• Primary means the device that is processing outputs - the one "console" (could also be a RPU or Nomad) that is outputting control data.
    • A Backup device connects to the Primary and will take over output functions if the Primary drops offline.

There are some rules regarding address counts and such that need to be taken into account but that's the basic theory.

Client connects to a Primary but does not take over if the Primary drops offline.

A Nomad on a PC can be any of these roles with an ETC dongle. Without a dongle, Nomad can only work offline or in "mirrror mode," which does not allow for remote control.

Hope that helps-

Related