Variable in Step Based Cue Help

So, at LDI I had a detailed conversation about using variables in cues that would run in the cue time. Am I missing a part of the process?

Build:

Step based cue, simple repeating chase, add for example Var 1 and Var 2 in On State and Decay.

Set Var 1 at 100 and Var 2 and 0

Record the effect into Cue 1 and Cue 2, both with fade times.

Goto Cue 2 - edit Var 1 to 50 and Var 2 to 30, update

Expected result: over the timing of Cue 2, On State fades from Full to 50, Decay fades from 0 to 30. The rest of the effect runs continuously.

Actual result: Cue 2 will restart the effect, from the first step, interrupting the chase rhythm.

File attached showing a version of this idea, but with the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

RickEffect w Var 2024-02-03 11-48-16.esf2

Parents
  • Thank you for reaching out.

I'm not seeing the effect restart, but I think I know what makes you say that. The change of the variable values happens in 0 and neither follows the cue time nor the effect's entry/exit time.

Can you confirm that you're also seeing the immediate change rather the effect restarting?

• For me, if I wait in Q1 for a while to get through a few of the steps, the moment Q2 is sent, the effect restarts from step 1 and in the timing of the variable change recorded in Q2. What Nick described to me at LDI was that the variable would fade from value to value in the cue's timing, and that the rest of the effect would continue as if it had simply tracked through.

• I just had a look at your showfile, sorry that I didn't before i responded the first time.

The reason why the effect restarts is that you change Variable 3 which is a timing variable. Those can't be changed without the effect restarting.

Regarding Variables 1 and 2 which are for the Level: It's currently written up (but not available in the software) that changes to effect variables should happen in cue time.

[EOS-51077]
    Effect variables, allow crossfade for changing non-timing variable in cue transition

I will add a note that you ran into this as well.

• Ah man - this is the exact scenario that I was describing to Nick at LDI - and the second project where I'd like to do it. It's a real shame that it's not possible to have a smooth-fading, rolling chase progressively transform into a rhythmically strobe effect. Personally I feel like any parameter should be able to fade between values within an effect, since it's not possible for multiple effects to share parameters using HTP or LTP. Under many circumstances (at least in things that I want to do), it means that I cannot program what I can envision...

• Ah man - this is the exact scenario that I was describing to Nick at LDI - and the second project where I'd like to do it. It's a real shame that it's not possible to have a smooth-fading, rolling chase progressively transform into a rhythmically strobe effect. Personally I feel like any parameter should be able to fade between values within an effect, since it's not possible for multiple effects to share parameters using HTP or LTP. Under many circumstances (at least in things that I want to do), it means that I cannot program what I can envision...

Children
Related