future of wholehog 3

hi gents,
i have the feeling in germany ,are becoming less.when i talk to technicians more and more switsch to grand ma.wholehog is rarely.the wholehog 2 was overall , Or deceives? and when grandma 2 is commoing...vs wholehog 3...:hogsign:

greets dol
  • Yea agreed. Are the other 267 posts you have made been so abusive and disrespectful? :angryfire:
  • Overall hog3 really suits my neads for a console, but there are somethings I've seen on a grandma or other desk that in my opinion should be implemented in hog 3 in a way.

I think one of the most powerfull aspects of the desk is the uniform sysntax that is verry powerfull, and most of the programming job can be done without to much fiddeling on the touchscreens.
    Also the wide range of consoles/hogpc is great to make the system a know standard.

But ofcourse there are also some thing that need to be done to keep the current possition in the console market for eg:

- better networking /redundancy (seen some nice stuff from etc)
    - more fixture calibration (would make life simpler in some way)
    - extended macro capabilities (suits the powerfull sysntax that we've got)
    - away to organise fixtures that work together in the patch (for eg scrollers with their dimmer channel)
    - an extention on the effectgenerator (i'd really like the option to trigger thing by audio-in like done on the grandma )

Overall I have to say that I'm :) with:hogsign:
  • Jeroen,
    you currently can associate scrollers with their dimmer channel. you patch it as a "scroller dimmer" and it gives you a choice of two patch points. Although, by "organize" perhaps you mean simply some better way of displaying things in the patch window?
  • Hello evreyone.
    Originally i was a hog 3 user and then i converted to a GMA. I do a lot of corporate shows and we own hog 3 and gma and here is way i converted to a gma.
    I love the fact the the ma pc boots up faster then a hog 3pc on my computer and i don't need to go between windows and find my pallets. Wwhat i mean is that if i lunch a hog3 pc then the programmer is a "window" so as the 2 screens. on a gma it is one window that contains the whole console.
    I love the fact that i can patch by layers and then that is the way my groups are coming up.
    when i use auto create just like auto pallet on a hog. on the gma i see the actuall color/gobo and i think it is save time becuse i dont need to rename the colors.
    i love the fact that i can go onsite and use a my pc to load the show to the console, and then use it as a backup with a nsp.
    i love the free visulaser.
    Oh and the macros are so usefull.
    Dont get me wrong the hog is a great desk and it can do a lot of stuff that the ma cant do but i guss i just had bad luck with them. it seams to be freazing on me if i press on the buttons to fast.
    i do love on the hog the color pallet by manufacture but i wish i was able to copy that color with its text and actual color on the window to my actuall color pallet.
    i dont like the fact that i cant resize the screens how i want to.
    i do love the syntex on the hog 3 it is really good. i love the list window.
    i am not a big fan of the faders it seems to me that every time that the console comes back from a show the faders are out of their postion and i need to open the front panel and put them back togther.
    yes the grand ma is big and it takes a lot of space and it is very heavy but their is the grand ma light which has the same number of faders as the hog 3 and yes it is only one screen but that is all you need becuse you can configre that sreen how ever you want.
    I dont meen to diss but this is my 2 cents.
  • Joren,

You said you would like to see the following:
    - away to organise fixtures that work together in the patch (for eg scrollers with their dimmer channel)
    - an extention on the effectgenerator (i'd really like the option to trigger thing by audio-in like done on the grandma )

We see these items as high priority and are planning to implement the network backup, fixture calibration, and macros in the near future.

As for the better patch organization, as posted you can use scoller dimmers for this particular fixture type. In addition you can move the fixture types as they appear in the patch (and other windows) by right clicking on the black bar and raising or lowering priority.

We also have many plans and discussion about how and when to improve the effects engine.

thanks for your input.
  • [QUOTE=shahar shemen]
    when i use auto create just like auto pallet on a hog. on the gma i see the actuall color/gobo and i think it is save time becuse i dont need to rename the colors.

this should also be possible in hog, but that info should be added in the fixturelibary.
  • [quote=Jeroen_NL]this should also be possible in hog, but that info should be added in the fixturelibary.

I shahar that he is referring to being able to see an image of the actual gobo or a swatch of color, not just the text.
  • [quote=shahar shemen]
    Originally i was a hog 3 user and then i converted to a GMA.

HA HA HA, quite the opposite with me!
  • [QUOTE=bradpepe]Joren,

You said you would like to see the following:

We see these items as high priority and are planning to implement the network backup, fixture calibration, and macros in the near future.

As for the better patch organization, as posted you can use scoller dimmers for this particular fixture type. In addition you can move the fixture types as they appear in the patch (and other windows) by right clicking on the black bar and raising or lowering priority.

We also have many plans and discussion about how and when to improve the effects engine.

thanks for your input.

It's good to know that work is being done on these things :)

My opinion about te fx genarator is that you should have the possibility to use an external trigger in it, that being for eg a flash button, timecode, audio in.
    In this way it is possible to speed up/slow down or stop/start a movment bij triggeren the fx generator so you can sinq it to the preformance in a way.

thanks for the tip about the patch, didn't know that.
  • [QUOTE=eboxer]I shahar that he is referring to being able to see an image of the actual gobo or a swatch of color, not just the text.

I know, but the bitmaps of the collors/gobo's should be in the calibration info in the fixturelibary first if the future can be put to use.
    The fact is that I've spoke to somebody from Etc about fixture calibrating, and she told me that there now are a couple of guys having there own company calibrating fixtures and Etc buys the information from them.
    So there might be hope in the near future for these kind of things ;)
  • Some original FPS guys.
    www.carallon.force9.co.uk/services_5.html

[quote=Jeroen_NL]I know, but the bitmaps of the collors/gobo's should be in the calibration info in the fixturelibary first if the future can be put to use.
    The fact is that I've spoke to somebody from Etc about fixture calibrating, and she told me that there now are a couple of guys having there own company calibrating fixtures and Etc buys the information from them.
    So there might be hope in the near future for these kind of things ;)
  • I must say it's bugging me, that Hog doesn't use Carallon libraries. It is understandable, cause calibration was invented before Carallon was founded, but it is sad that things have gone this way and the original idea is working against Hog.
    Abstraction and calibrated libraries are a great idea and one of the most important things in the development of consoles, one of the most important things why I like Hog3. But, other consoles are catching up by using Carallon libraries and I really hope that in the future, Hog3 is not the console where calibration is nothing more than an idea which was never completed.

I kinda like the bitmap images of gobos, but changing them should be easy. I work in a theatre and musical productions, where custom gobos are used very much. So replacing stock ones should be made easy. But, I must say I rarely need this feature. I also think there should be a fast hide option for those images.
  • ...and apparently it has been, Joe. and now all my responses seem to go nowhere...

anyway, case closed...
Related