split pages

I would like to be able to change the page of playback wings independently from the main playback. The problem I see is when looking at the pages view. How do you display the extra page information? I would say use open + next page on the playback wing to open page info.
  • I have my "master" view which brings up everything where I normally keep it. I then have "additive" views like "Color" "Beam" etc...which maximize that particular window.

I like the idea of moving this into pages...I'm just unclear of how it would all work. For my pages, my main console has the stuff that I "always" want there. The wing has stuff that changes. I make a "template" page with the main console faders loaded and the wing empty. That way, no matter where I change, it only moves the wing.

I'd like to hear more....
  • Marty gave a great description of additive views. If you open up the views directory (Open + View) and look at it in spreadsheet mode, there is an additive column that can be set to Yes or No. If a view is not set as additive, when that view is recalled it will close all open windows and then recall only the windows stored in the view. When an additive view is recalled, it recalls the windows stored in the view on top of any other windows that are already open.

I generally make a couple of non-additive views that arrange the windows on my screens that I want open most of the time while I'm programming. Then I will record additive views for windows like the effects engine and the colour picker that I may want to open momentarily to change settings while I'm programming.

My thought for additive views would operate in much the same way. When an additive page is recalled, either from the command line, the page directory, or with the next page button, rather than clearing all of the masters and then loading the playbacks from the new page, the playbacks for the new page would be loaded onto their appropriate masters and all other masters not used in the additive page would still have the playbacks from the previous page on them. This would allow users to build pages that would only affect the masters they wanted and wouldn't change the interface significantly or limit them to groups of 10. The standard page change rules (release all, leave in background, holdover if active) would still apply.

So...

What do you think of this idea?
    What have I missed? Is there anything else we could do that would make this functionality even better?
    What other situations do you find difficult to deal with when using our current page functionality?

Thanks.
  • Tom, I think additive pages is a great idea! Count my vote for it. The interface you described seems like it would work well and be intuitive.

Thanks,
    Kevin Montagne
    kevin (at) litkam (dot) com
  • This one has me thinking a bit, so here's a few more thoughts for your collective consideration:

1) Would not being able to identify what pages playbacks are coming from make anything more difficult on the console? With this new concept of additive pages, it could be possible to have multiple pages active at once and not have an easy way to determine which pages are responsible for which playbacks or masters.

2) Currently, new pages can be created as blank or as copies of existing pages. The "Record Page" syntax isn't currently used for anything. I think that it could be very useful if Record Page X would record whatever playbacks are currently visible on masters to a new page, regardless of their current source. I also think it might be useful if there were an easy way to include the restore activity macros as a part of this record operation.

What do you think?
  • This is sort of going back to the colour thread we have also......
    But what about being able to assign a colour to different pages then from that the choose buttons (on screen) would show the colour of the page were looking at.

Kris.
  • Wait........
    Just realised this wouldn;t work at the Expansion wing does not have colour screens.

Oops

Kris.
  • [quote=teerickson]1) Would not being able to identify what pages playbacks are coming from make anything more difficult on the console? With this new concept of additive pages, it could be possible to have multiple pages active at once and not have an easy way to determine which pages are responsible for which playbacks or masters.

What do you think?

Tom, it seems like you could have any additional window, maybe as an option off the output window, that would act like a sources window mapping the playbacks and masters to the appropriate page that was controlling it. It could be simple list with one column have the numbered playbacks/masters and another column with the page number & name.

--
    Kevin Montagne
    kevin (at) litkam (dot) com
  • [quote=teerickson]
    2) Currently, new pages can be created as blank or as copies of existing pages. The "Record Page" syntax isn't currently used for anything. I think that it could be very useful if Record Page X would record whatever playbacks are currently visible on masters to a new page, regardless of their current source. I also think it might be useful if there were an easy way to include the restore activity macros as a part of this record operation.

I love the idea to record/copy a playback to an other page note active.

[LIST=1]
    "Record Page X" would Record the choosen playback to page X
    "Pig + Record Page X" would Record all playbacks currently visible on masters to page X.
    Record + choose Page X" would Record the playback where choose had been pushed to page X
    Same with Copy.
  • I think this is on the right track. That could be a really cool feature.
  • works the NEXT PAGE buttons on the wing an on the desk always together or is it possible to seperate this buttons?
    If its possible, i woul like to have the option separate the pages.
    E.g. i have a wing and woul like to separate the pages: i have 2 page directory, one for the main desk and one for the wing. So i can change the pages on the wing without change the page on the maindesk.
    Cheers
    Hg
  • Hg,

This is similar to the functionality that has been requested in this thread, but the solution that seems to be the most popular at this point is an idea of additive pages that has been discussed above. I believe that additive pages would possibly provide enough flexibility for you, but not the exact functionality that you're looking for. What do you think of the ideas that have been discussed here already?

Thanks.
  • I don't like the additive page function idea, or my english is to bad to understand it ;)What is if i need fader 3 on the next page but i have fader 3 on the active page in use?Would it be possible to switch the pages on the wing seperat from the pages on the maindesk?so i can have e.g. 20 faders with frontlight on the wing and i can switch between this faders without change the main 10 cuelist on the desk...CheersHg
  • Hg,

If you were to build a page that only had your 20 front light faders on the wing and you set this page as additive, you could go to this page at any time and it would load those 20 faders without affecting any other playback masters.

It would not, however, offer you the ability to load just a specific master from a specific page that contains multiple masters.

I hope this clears things up.
Related